Friday 11 May 2007

Cowley: PO closure causes queues

The Oxford Times reports today that pensioners are being forced to queue for up to an hour to use a post office in Cowley following the closure of a nearby branch in Rose Hill.

More than 30 people were waiting for Post Office services following the Bank Holiday weekend before the counter, at the Co-op store in Templars Square, even opened, with the queue continuing to grow throughout the morning.

Peter Stovold, of Hollow Way, started queuing 45 minutes before the post office opened.
He said: "Every day it's really backed up and it's usually worse than this.

"I got here at 8.45am and I've been queuing for 45 minutes because otherwise you have to wait 40 minutes in the queue. It's just easier to get here earlier."

Jane Lambert, from Iffley, left the post office without being served because she did not have enough time to wait.

She said: "It's completely ridiculous. I live near Rose Hill and since they closed the one there, which is absolutely crazy, everyone has to come here so it's really busy.

"I came to pay my council tax but the queues are just too long. I can't spend hours queuing.

"You can't do it anywhere else because they have closed the council tax office in town as well."

Tina Lambrick, of Derwent Avenue, also left without being served, having come to pick up child benefit for her two children.

She said: "There's no way I'm getting in that queue, that's an hour's wait at least.

"I feel sorry for the old people who have to stand waiting for so long. Something needs to be done."


No comments: