Monday 13 August 2007

Spelthorne: 'Tie rubbish to your Zimmer' 93-year-old told

A 93-year-old woman has slammed Spelthorne Council's new rubbish collection plans after being advised to tie her bin bags to her walking frame, reports Your Local Guardian.

Jessie Emer, of Cadbury Road, Sunbury, contacted after reading about blind residents' concerns about distinguishing the new bins, which are being rolled out across the borough.


Mrs Emer, a lifelong Conservative voter, said she would be unable to move the new wheelie bins as she walks with a frame.

She said: "I really do not know how they can do this without any consideration for the elderly. How am I now supposed to take my bins to the front of the house.

"The bin man just told me to tie the black bin bag to my frame and hobble to the wheelie bin."

Mrs Emer, who has lived in Spelthorne for 73 years, said even though she had contacted the council, nothing had been done and that she was not alone in having difficulty - her 96-year-old cousin is suffering from the same problem.

She said: "It is appalling and I am disgusted the council think they can do this without asking people.

"I can not move the bins about and I will not vote Conservative again. How do they think I can cope?

"They carried out a small test which proved nothing. Would they expect their own elderly relatives to move about these big bins?

"I am unable to walk without my frame never mind push anything."

Mrs Emer, who has lived through two world wars, said she believes the introduction of the new rubbish collection policy is penny pinching.


No comments: